Thursday, February 9, 2012

What year was the Webster鈥檚 New Collegiate Dictionary published?

Webster's 11th came out in 2003. It's the standard dictionary used by most publishing houses, including my employer, and I remember how disappointed I was when they replaced my 10th (from 1998) with the 11th. First of all, the 11th uses this new sans-serif typeface (like Arial on MS Word) that seems too childish to me. And they replaced the dust jacket with a pre-printed hardcover, like the covers of grade school textbooks. There's a CD-ROM in the back but I never use it. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but there used to be a real charm in just physically handling the dictionary -- the texture of the paper, the cloth binding, the little flecks on the cut edges of the pages, the old-fashioned typeface, etc. -- and a lot of that is gone in the 11th. The good news is you can probably pick up a copy of the 10th for a great price at a used bookstore or through third-party sellers on amazon. I'm sure the words inside didn't change much.What year was the Webster鈥檚 New Collegiate Dictionary published?
What is a Dictionary? LOLWhat year was the Webster鈥檚 New Collegiate Dictionary published?
Merriam-Webster introduced its Collegiate Dictionary in 1898 and the series is now in its 11th edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment