Thursday, February 9, 2012

How much would a Websters New Twentieth Century Dictionary (1942) be worth? *Urgent*?

Hi i have a Websters Twentieth Century Dictionary from 1942 it is in good condition, i heard some can be worth around 100 dollars but im wondering what this one would be worth, thanks !How much would a Websters New Twentieth Century Dictionary (1942) be worth? *Urgent*?
I have a feeling it is worth almost nothing, 2 or 3 dollars at a used book store. From a collectible standpoint, here is nothing too special about a dictionary----It is not by a famous author, it is not a limited production, it is not connected with a particular historical event. Just because it is old doesn't mean it's valuable. Whenever I have something I want to know to know the value of . i look it up on EBay. Remember, now EBay isn't the abiter of pricing, but it gives a good indication. Be sure to look at what things have SOLD for, not the asking price. My advice would be to enjoy your old book, use it as it was intended, and consult it often! Don't buy antiques because you think you can make a profit, (it is a very risky game), buy them because you like them.
G'day Makaveli,



Thank you for your question.



I would check with an antiques dealer especially those who have some knowledge of books. I wouldn't think that a dictionary would have a particularly high value unless that it was a rare edition or had a famous owner. However, an expert would know much more than I would. Checking E-Bay might be a good first step if you find anything relevant.



RegardsHow much would a Websters New Twentieth Century Dictionary (1942) be worth? *Urgent*?
A book antiquarian will not help you, because the book must be 100 years old. Do your research on the web, like, if YOU wanted to buy one, that way you'll know how much they are worth. Is it a first edtion, first print? All that really hikes the price.



I have vintage books from the 20s', I bought them because I like books, not because of how much they are worth.



Good luck!How much would a Websters New Twentieth Century Dictionary (1942) be worth? *Urgent*?
I agree. It is too old to be very useful and too new to be a collectible. Just another second-hand book, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment