Thursday, February 9, 2012

Atheists, I was just thumbing throuh my Webster's New World Dictionary, and I came across the word .........?

"infidel". My question is, do you consider yourself an infidel, or not? Why, or why not?Atheists, I was just thumbing throuh my Webster's New World Dictionary, and I came across the word .........?
I got my dictionary out, and sure enough, atheists are infidels. I never knew that. And, interestingly enough, the next word was "Infidelity", and the first meaning of this word is, "the fact or state of being an infidel". I never knew that either.
"Infidelity" is defined as being unfaithful to another person...

"Infidel" is a person that does not have a religion...



Have nothing to do with one another...

Report Abuse

Atheists, I was just thumbing throuh my Webster's New World Dictionary, and I came across the word .........?
oh that's a nice dictionary.Atheists, I was just thumbing throuh my Webster's New World Dictionary, and I came across the word .........?
I just might be, but get this, even though you're a believer, a person from another religion might consider you an infidel, too.
Was it the Christian version?
Hmm, technically we are all infidels to other deities that we do not believe in. Even you! Aren't you happy that we are all in the same boat?
i guess some people would think me an infidel. i'm not an atheist though, so you may disregard this answer.
"Infidel" is a word used by religious people to make those of other paths appear and feel like garbage. I don't consider myself an "infidel" any more or less than I consider myself a "sinner" (another word used by religion to induce low self-esteem in decent people).
Is it just me or do Christians have a big problem with people being different from them?
Infidel : a person who does not accept a particular faith



So you are an infidel to the religion you do not adhere to..... big deal.
I do, I do not accept your god, therefore I'm an infidel. You're one too. You are an infidel to most gods, therefore you are an infidel. We are all infidels.
From this definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionar鈥?/a>



Yes. I am not a Christian, and I don't respect or adhere to a particular religion.



Though, here's what the OED says:



----"1. One who does not believe in (what the speaker holds to be) the true religion; an 鈥榰nbeliever鈥? Obs.



----2. In specific applications: a. From a Christian point of view: An adherent of a religion opposed to Christianity; esp. a Muhammadan, a Saracen (the earliest sense in Eng.); also (more rarely), applied to a Jew, or a pagan. Now chiefly Hist."



In this case, given that the first definition is obsolete, I am not an infidel as I am not part of an oppositional religion.
%26lt;An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion.%26gt;

I have respect towards Neo-Paganism and Wicca. Even if I don't believe in thier Gods/Goddess, I do like that they respect the earth and nature. Usually, down to earth people as well, and they typically do not try and "convert" you, or tell you you are wrong if you believe something they do not.
Well, Christian, ask a Moslem whether YOU are an infidel in his eyes.



Then look at what any religion DOES to infidels. The unspeakable things Moslems have done recently to westerners are really no different than the things the Christian church did to MY ancestors - atheists, protestants, Huguenots, and Jews.

No comments:

Post a Comment