Thursday, January 26, 2012

What is the only word Noah Webster refused to put in his first American Dictionary?

I've looked and I can't find it. I would appreciate your help and the source, please.What is the only word Noah Webster refused to put in his first American Dictionary?
It is N * G R 0 (Sorry this is getting edited, so I can't put the full word)



Wikipedia states:



Linguistically, in developing American English, in the early editions of A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language (1806), lexicographer Noah Webster suggested the "neger" new spelling in place of n * gro..What is the only word Noah Webster refused to put in his first American Dictionary?
I smell an "urban myth" in the air...What is the only word Noah Webster refused to put in his first American Dictionary?
G U L L I B L E. Of course you can't find it. It's not there. Prove me wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment