Friday, January 27, 2012

Oxford Dictionary vs Webster's? (they seem to have different definitions)!!!?

So I'm studying vocabulary out of the oxford dictionary and I noticed that some of the words I kinda already know the meaning of have a different definition then what I expected. So I tried something out. I looked up a few of these in another dictionary. The Webster's dictionary actually and it has different definitions from what's in the Oxford dictionary. The Webster has the definitions I expect, but the oxford seems to differ in some cases.



So anyways I want to ask. Should I not be using the Oxford dictionary to study and learn my vocabulary?!



ThanksOxford Dictionary vs Webster's? (they seem to have different definitions)!!!?
All words in every language are colloquialisms, and all definitions are circular.



In plain English that means all words might have different meanings in different areas, and all words are defined by other words. Contrary to what you thought as a child, there is no institution where learned men make up all the words and assign meanings to them.



Dictionaries exist only to record what certain people in a certain area thought the words meant at a certain time. That may or may not agree with what you think they mean where you are.Oxford Dictionary vs Webster's? (they seem to have different definitions)!!!?
Oxford is pretty much THE dictionary. But it's possible for there to be nuances in a word and a word can shift in meaning over time. Be sure the dictionary you're using is up to date and be aware that there are almost always multiple definitions for a word in any dictionary, but more so for the OED because it tends to trace the meaning of the word from its first known use up to present usage.Oxford Dictionary vs Webster's? (they seem to have different definitions)!!!?
It could be because one dictionary is American and the other British. I don't really know. The Oxford dictionary is an incredible resource for someone who wants to improve their language skills, in my opinion. It may not be so bad to have your expectations challenged. We could all use that sometimes, I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment