Thursday, January 19, 2012

How do I cite a definition, that was obtained online, from Webster dictionary, APA style?

Would this be correct?

In-text: (Merriam-Webster, 2007)

Bibliography: Merriam-Webster. 2007. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?so鈥?/a>How do I cite a definition, that was obtained online, from Webster dictionary, APA style?
That's not true. You do have to cite definitions.



But, it's really tacky to cite Webster's dictionary in your paper. You really ought to go to the more "academic" sources for your definition. DSM-IV, for instance. Or, Oxford English Dictionary. Depending on what your paper is about.



You probably don't need a dictionary definition (which might be what the previous commenter was getting at). Too many students try to define everything just to take up space--like "pregnancy," which a student just did in one of my classes. Not necessary.



As far as your citation goes, I'm more familiar with MLA than APA but you can go to www.citationmachine.net for additional help. It's a great resource that I send my students to.How do I cite a definition, that was obtained online, from Webster dictionary, APA style?
You don't have to. You get definitions out of the dictionary even if it online and dictionaries are considered common knowledge so you don't have to cite.

No comments:

Post a Comment