Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do I have public permission to quote definitions in a book from Merriam-Webster Dictionary?

I am a self publishing author who is in the process of publishing my work. I am sending it to the printing press tomorrow. And as far as copyrighting goes, everything is all squared away, accept that I used a couple of definitions from the m-w.com (Merriam Webster dictionary online), and as far as copyright goes, it is not exactly clear the terms and conditions that I may use definitions from it. Do I need to have permission to use several definitions?Do I have public permission to quote definitions in a book from Merriam-Webster Dictionary?
if youre a writer, you should have no problem finding descriptive words which can convey the meanings without copyright infringement. but if youre quoting them to prove a point to your readers, you do need written permission to quote word for word and if you get written permission, im sure websters will inform you that you need to attribute the definition to them in your writing.Do I have public permission to quote definitions in a book from Merriam-Webster Dictionary?
check there website. And I suggest calling or emailing them. At most you might have to pay royalty's at least reference them.

Because if you don't they will sue you(unless your writings fail miserably but even than failure is no safety net from a lawsuit).

No comments:

Post a Comment